- Opportunity Type
- Atlanta, GA
Theater Emory: Auditions for THE NETHER
Theater Emory announces professional auditions for The Nether
The Nether is a virtual wonderland that provides total sensory immersion. Just log in, choose an identity and indulge your every desire. But when a young detective uncovers a disturbing brand of entertainment, she triggers an interrogation into the darkest corners of the imagination.
The play explores mature content.
Playwright- Jennifer Haley. Director- Ibi Owolabi.
- Equity auditions by appointment on Saturday, Aug. 17 from 10:00AM – 1:00PM and 2:00PM – 6:00PM.
- Non-Equity auditions by appointment on Sunday, Aug. 18 20 from 10:00AM – 1:00PM and 2:00PM – 6:00PM.
- Callbacks, if needed, on Monday evening, Aug. 19.
- Rehearsals start on Oct. 1, 2019 and the production runs Nov. 1 – 17, 2019.
- Actors will read sides from the script to be provided at the audition and available at the theater and online in advance.
- Please bring a picture and a resume, stapled together.
LOCATION & SCHEDULING
- Auditions are in room 210 on the second floor of the Rich Building, at 1602 Fishburne Drive, Atlanta, GA, 30322 – Emory University. Parking available in the Fishburne Parking deck.
- To schedule an appointment send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If no email access, call Meghan Truhett at 404-727-5323. Email preferred.
- Theater Emory casts almost entirely from the Atlanta/North Georgia area. Housing is generally not available to out-of-area performers.
- Performers of all ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to attend.
- Actors are paid for rehearsal and performance.
- Theater Emory operates under a SPT contract with Actors Equity Association.
- In addition to this website and Theater Emory's social media postings, audition notices are posted locally on the C4 website https://opportunity.art. Notices for productions with Equity actors are also posted online in "Casting Call" at https://www.actorsequity.org. Equity then forwards those notices to the various trade publications (Backstage.com, Playbill.com, Showbusinessweekly.com, Broadwayworld.com).
Sims / Papa – 50’s, male, any ethnicity. Sims is a businessman who created and maintains a realm in the Nether called the Hideaway. He is under investigation by Morris. Papa is Sim’s online persona in the Hideaway.
Morris – early 30’s, female, any ethnicity, a young female detective, Morris works for an investigative unit of the Nether. She is charged with investigating the activities of Sims and Doyle.
Doyle – mid 60’s, male, any ethnicity, Cedric Doyle is a middle school science teacher who makes additional money on the side through his employment at the Hideaway. Under investigation by Morris.
Iris – young female, any ethnicity. Described as a “shining little girl”, Iris is an inhabitant of the Hideaway. Although perceived as pre-pubescent, the actress cast in this role can be no younger than 16 years of age.
Woodnut – mid 20’s or older, male, any ethnicity. Described as “fresh-faced”, Thomas Woodnut is admitted to the Hideaway as a guest, but he is an undercover agent working with Morris to investigate the activities of Sims and Doyle in the Hideaway.