- Opportunity Type
- Newnan, GA
Auditions for The Boys Next Door by Tom Griffin
- Audition will be Monday, January 14 and Tuesday, January 15 from 7 - 9pm.
- Auditions will be held at Newnan Theatre Company, 24 First Avenue, Newnan, Georgia.
- Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script and improvisational scenes.
- Performance dates are March 7th - March 17.
Newnan Theatre Company does not charge production fees of any kind to a performer to take part in our productions. All roles are non-Equity/non-paying.
*Richard McMichen will be directing the show - Richard “Doc” McMichen retired after teaching high school English and theatre for forty years. He has directed hundreds of one-acts, full lengths, and musicals throughout his career. His shows have been featured at several Georgia Thespian Conferences, and he has directed several summer theatre productions for the STAR and ENCORE programs in Coweta County, where he was the theatre teacher at East Coweta High School. Honors include Teacher of the Year and the 2017 Richard Brooks Visionary Award of Distinction Hall of Fame.
Available roles are:
- Arnold Wiggins – a man living with a mild mental disability. He tends to be very obsessive compulsive and works as a janitor in a movie theatre. He is often abused by his coworkers and is afraid to fight back.
- Norman Bulansky – a middle-aged man with mental disabilities who works in a doughnut shop. Eating doughnuts at his job has caused him to be overweight. His girlfriend, Sheila, lives in another group home. Bulansky is very proud of his large ring of keys.
- Lucien P. Smith – a large African-American man who faces extremely debilitating mental disabilities. Despite the fact he cannot read, Smith insists on checking out armloads of books from the library.
- Barry Klemper – a 28-year old man with schizophrenia who believes he is a golf pro. He gets highly agitated by small things. Barry was an abused child and has had a very traumatic childhood.
- Jack Palmer – the social worker for the four handicapped men. He has found himself increasingly “burnt out” by his job and is considering finding a new line of work.
- Shelia – Norman’s girlfriend. She is obsessed with Norman’s enormous ring of keys, and is no “skinny Minnie herself.”
- Mr. Klemper – Barry’s father. During the course of the play, he decides to visit Barry while in Boston, leading to a very bad outcome.
- There are also some minor male and female roles available.